Interviewing, hiring, or meeting someone for the first time? Learn a ton about them without having to ask a single question using this simple, yet effective exercise.
How to facilitate:
- Hand everyone participating a blank sheet of paper and a sharpie
- In 3 minutes, have them Illustrate how to make toast.
- Have them walk the group through how they make toast.
- Capture and share back any observations.
By having someone illustrate how they make toast you can learn a lot about them:
- their creative confidence in picking up a marker and participating
- their skills as a visual communicator (sketching)
- their short-term memory capacity; the average person would record 3-5 steps in any process.
- are they a functional or emotional decision maker? (did they “feel hungry?” or are they right down to “take bread out of bag. insert.”
- their capacity to think laterally.
- maybe a personal preference or anecdote about them based on what they love on their toast ;)